Friday, February 26, 2010

"13 1/2 Minutes of . . . 'I Had Affairs, I Cheated'



TIGER WOODS:
"Good morning, and thank you for joining me.
Many of you in this room
are my friends. Many of you in this room know me. Many of you have cheered for me or you've worked with me or you've supported me.
Now every one of you has good reason to be critical of me. I want to say to each of you, simply and directly, I am deeply sorry for my
irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in
."

And so he opened his statement to the press. The apology (so it seems) lasted 13 1/2 minutes, explaining as little as necessary what had taken place in his private life. As you already know, much was said before and much has been said after his apology. But, was enough said by Tiger himself?

Personally, I think he said just what he was capable of saying as one who isn't necessarily very capable of making a concession speech. You see, he is normally in the winner's circle, answering reporters how he won the Tournament. That was no doubt hard for this man to do.

I have shared with close friends on the Tour some of what I thought of his situation and what I personally feel he needs in his life. He has admitted to the lack of influence Buddhism has had on him in his life time, but intends to return to that faith.

It was interesting to read what the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibet, say concerning a principle of Buddhism: "Whether you call it Buddhism or another religion, self-discipline, that's important."

Interesting thing to say about a man who is in the game of golf is more "self-disciplined" than any man alive.

What I would convey to him if he and I were able to have a conversation is this. "Tiger, according to the Word of God, you are living just the way you are supposed to live outside of knowing the True and Living God. You are following your Father . . .the devil. That's the way he wants you to live . . . " I would further explain to him that in Christ, there is complete forgiveness and atonement for his sins; freedom from the power and penalty of sin; and a peace that transcends all human understanding; Eternal Life. It is only in Christ that one can truly live a life that is pleasing to the Sovereign Creator of all the Universe.

"I once heard, and I believe it's true, it's not
what you achieve in life that matters; it's what you
overcome. Achievements on the golf course are
only part of setting an example. Character and
decency are what really count."


No, Tiger, what really counts in life is this: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." II Corinthians 5:17,

I would also share the same words with the Dalai Lama . . .

No comments: